Barbie Swan Lake
Barbie hottest toy for 3rd consecutive year
From 2001 to 2003, Barbie achieved the toy industry's highest honors as the hottest toy. Starting with Barbie in the Nutcracker in 2001, continuing with Barbie as Rapunzel in 2002 and then, Barbie as Odette from "Barbie of Swan Lake" in 2003, Barbie doll's crown has three "gems" from Toy Wishes magazine's "Hot Dozen List."
"In the five year history of Toy Wishes' 'Hot Dozen List,' few toys have achieved such acclaim as Barbie," said Jim Silver, co-publisher of Toy Wishes. "Every year we review thousands of toys and narrow them down to what we predict will be the most sought-after toys of the upcoming holiday season. With Barbie doll's foray into entertainment, she has become a top star on our list for the past three consecutive years."
The Barbie as Odette doll is inspired by her third movie, "Barbie of Swan Lake," which was released nationwide on DVD and video on September 30, 2003. Based on the classic 19th century German fairytale, but reinterpreted for today's girl, Mattel's screenplay for "Barbie of Swan Lake" stars Barbie as Odette, a brave young girl who is trapped in an enchanted forest. Through an exciting adventure with her new friends, Barbie discovers that with confidence and determination each of us has the power to transform the world. Barbie as Odette doll captures the beauty and grace of Odette in the movie, allowing girls to play out the inspirational tale over and over again.
Barbie as Odette doll is currently available nationwide at a suggested retail price of $19.99. She is complemented by an array of beautiful merchandise to bring the story of "Barbie of Swan Lake" to life. With more products and expanded categories than Barbie doll's first two movies, the world of "Barbie of Swan Lake" boasts an array of fashion dolls, a plush line, accessories, software, and licensed products.
Odette is a fictional character often associated with the ballet "Swan Lake." In the ballet's storyline, Odette is a princess who has been transformed into a swan by an evil sorcerer's curse. She can only regain her human form at night when the moonlight shines on the lake. Her enchanting and tragic tale is a central element of the ballet, representing themes of love, sacrifice, and the struggle between good and evil.
Odette's story serves as an inspiration to children for several reasons:
- Resilience: Despite her unfortunate circumstances, Odette remains resilient. She continues to endure her swan form and the challenges brought about by the curse. Her determination to find a solution and break the curse exemplifies the importance of perseverance and overcoming adversity.
- Kindness and Compassion: Throughout the ballet, Odette exhibits kindness and compassion towards others, including Prince Siegfried. Her ability to feel empathy even in her difficult situation teaches children the value of treating others with kindness and understanding.
- Selflessness: Odette's willingness to sacrifice her happiness for the sake of breaking the curse demonstrates selflessness. Her ultimate desire to free her fellow swan maidens from the sorcerer's control reflects the importance of considering the well-being of others.
- Inner Strength: Odette's inner strength shines through in her interactions with the sorcerer and her ability to maintain hope despite the challenges she faces. This quality showcases the importance of cultivating inner strength and a positive mindset.
- Love and Loyalty: The love story between Odette and Prince Siegfried highlights themes of love and loyalty. Children can learn about the significance of genuine connections, trust, and the importance of standing by loved ones.
Overall, Odette's character in "Swan Lake" serves as an inspiration to children due to her resilience, kindness, selflessness, inner strength, and capacity to love. Her story encourages valuable life lessons and provides a source of empowerment and hope.